China population now over 1.4 billion as birthrate falls Djokovic facing career crisis point: ‘I don’t know if I’m going to play on grass’ Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours With Alvarez free to fight once his six-month suspension ends in August, the two rivals had been expected to fight again in September.However, Alvarez’s promoter Oscar De La Hoya said plans for a September 15 rematch had fallen through after world champion Golovkin demanded a 50-50 cut of the purse.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown“He’s stubborn and wanting 50-50 and it’s not going to happen,” De La Hoya told ESPN about Golovkin. “The Canelo train has left the station.”De La Hoya said Alvarez would now likely fight Daniel Jacobs instead in September. Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award LATEST STORIES Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Winfrey details her decision to withdraw from Simmons film Dave Chappelle donates P1 million to Taal relief operations “I can’t say he won’t be Canelo’s toughest fight. He might be tougher than GGG.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Weinstein rape trial View comments Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina FILE – Boxer Gennady Golovkin poses during a news conference at Microsoft Theater at L.A. Live to announce the upcoming rematch against Canelo Alvarez on February 27, 2018 in Los Angeles, California. Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images/AFPCanelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin’s negotiations for a rematch have collapsed following a dispute over the proposed purse, ESPN reported on Tuesday.The two fighters had been due to fight each other in Las Vegas in May before the middleweight bout was canceled after Alvarez failed a drug test.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Lacson: Calamity fund cut; where did P4 billion go? “So there’s a deal on the table for Daniel Jacobs to fight Sept. 15 against Canelo,” De La Hoya said.“Daniel Jacobs loves the fight and we love the fight as well. So we’re just moving forward and making sure that Canelo has the toughest dance partner possible for Sept. 15.”Golovkin and Alvarez fought to a controversial draw in their first meeting in September last year.Jacobs meanwhile gave Golovkin a stern test when the two fought last year, with Jacobs taking the champion the distance in a bruising 12-rounder.“Jacobs gave GGG a run for his money a lot of people thought that he won,” De La Hoya said.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information.
LWP members march through the principal streets of Voinjama prior to the indoor program“In order to sustain the livelihood of the local farmers,” Mr. Keller noted, “we must mobilize resources to enhance the support for agriculture thereby improving their standard of living.”He said the Ministry of Agriculture has a significant role to play in fostering LWP’s agenda, therefore, Keller called on the government to provide the environment to help women succeed in the sector.Mr. Keller then provided a loan of L$200,000 to the group, to be paid in four installments.LWP Director, Madam Youngor Sherman, assured Mr. Keller of the group’s readiness to work. She called on all Lofains for their support in awakening the spirit of the county.She disclosed that with the help of one of the county’s leading agriculturists, John Selma and another prominent son of the county, Momo Cyrus, and LWP have acquired 50 acres of land to begin the initiative.Mr. Cyrus is SEGAL’s CEO and managing director. He said agriculture is the way forward for the country’s self-sufficiency in food.“We will not wait until this initiative turns into a national NGO. We want officials of government, especially those of them from Lofa to come and help our women,” he said.Mr. Cyrus reechoed the need for the country to gravitate to mechanized farming to alleviate the intensive labor that farmers go through.LWP was established in August 2010 with an initial membership of 100 persons, then 500 persons and now has exceeded 1000 members.Agriculture is a major sector of the Liberian economy with 38.8% GDP (Gross Domestic Product), employing more than 70% of the population and providing a valuable export.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Mr. Keller: “Lofa County remains the country’s food basket.”-Women say at rally to make county’s bread basket againA group of women under the banner, Lofa Women for Progress (LWP) has launched an agricultural initiative to reclaim the county’s lost status as ‘Liberia’s Bread Basket.’The possibility of achieving such an ambitious goal was echoed by one of the founders of the Security Experts Guard of Liberia (SEGAL), Lionel A. Keller, Jr. who served as the keynote speaker.Keller said Lofa County has the potential to reclaim its pre-war status as the most productive county as recorded during the 1970s and 1980s. This, he said, is achievable but not with subsistence farming.“We therefore need to graduate from this type of farming, and move to mechanized farming. This is the only way we can make it better. I know you women will get there,” Mr. Keller said as a challenge to the women.He added, “we have come to enlighten the minds of our mothers, sisters and daughters, who have deemed it necessary to foster great prospects in the country’s agricultural sector. We would like to encourage you to continue to strive in this sector.”He defined agriculture as the bedrock of the nation, “and with support from everyone, our women will work to meet the objectives of this organization.”Mr. Keller urged the people of Lofa to rally around the women to ensure that the county regain its lost status in the sector.He added that women have played a significant role in the development of the country through agriculture—a role that they need to retake to ensure that the country becomes food sufficient.“I want to inform you that majority of our farmers are women, who represent more than 50 percent of the country’s farming population,” Keller said.He said empowering women in the sector will assist them to fight poverty to the very end, nothing that LWP’s goals are achievable, but require a lot of work.
National Blood Transfusion Service (NBTS), which is housed in the compound of the Georgetown Public Hospital, has introduced immuno-haematological testing and Hepatitis B core antigen which will improve the quality of blood offered to patients, especially expectant mothers, who will be able to access safer blood, thanks to these measures.NBTS Director, Dr Pedro LewisPatients, more so pregnant women, stand to receive uncontaminated blood because of the implemented measures, since the “risks of blood infection are always there”; the new tests have significantly lowered the chance of transmitting transfusion diseases, according to NBTS Director, Dr Pedro Lewis.The immuno-haematological tests take advantage of the body’s immune system, in order to fight germs or foreign substances: the immune system produces antibodies which are proteins that can bind to a specific germ or substance, just like a key fits into a specific keyhole. They “catch” the germs or substances, neutralise them, and attract other immune cells.Dr Lewis stated that the new leap in expertise by the NBTS was made possible through ongoing networking involving the Public Health Ministry, the Pan American Health Organisation/World Health Organisation (PAHO/WHO), and the Guyana-Argentina collaboration.The NBTS conducts a wide array of tests, including those for HIV I and II (HIVI is the most widespread worldwide and HIV2 is found mostly in western Africa); Human T-lymphotropic virus (HTLV1 and 2) infections associated with certain rare diseases of T lymphocytes (T-cells); Hepatitis B and C; Chagas Disease; Malaria; Filaria and Rapid Plasma Regain (RPR) used to test for the presence of syphilis.
In Peace River North the five candidates have been invited to participate in a forum Tuesday night at the Northern Grande Hotel.It is scheduled to run from 7 to 9pm and will be broadcast live on Moose-FM and Energeticcity.ca. You can submit questions for all the candidates in advance by e-mail. You can e-mail email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.orgA second all-candidates-forum, is scheduled for the same time, 7 to 9pm, one week from today, May 4th, at the Hudson’s Hope Community Hall.- Advertisement -The five candidates in this riding are Jackie Allen of the NDP…Sue Arnston of the Refederation Party…Indepedent Arthur Hadland…Liz Logan of the Green Party and, the BC Liberals, Pat Pimm.
Prince George/Peace River MP Jay Hill is taking some heat, for doing what he claims he was elected to do.According to a report in Wednesday’s Globe and Mail, private companies are lining up to bid for the cash strapped coal-shipping crown corporation, in Prince Rupert.However, according to the Conservative-appointed chairman, of Ridley Terminals, a 131 million dollar offer, one of four private expressions of interest, is being hindered by a group of MP’s led by Mr. Hill.- Advertisement -The Globe and Mail quotes Daniel Veniez as claiming private companies are lining up to bid for the corporation, but the MP’s are worried about the impact of privatization, on coal-mining firms, in the interior. Veniez also claims these MP’s are unhappy, with Ridley’s attempts to neogitate higher rates, for the coal shipped from the interior, through the Prince Rupert facility. The Globe and Mail indicates Mr. Hill isn’t backing down, saying it would be “completely irresponsible” for him not to voice his concerns about the impact of privatiation and/or higher fees in the area. However, Mr. Veniez doesn’t believe Prime Minister Harper is aware of the simmering dispute, claiming his reputation and those of his board members have been blackened by the affair.Advertisement To see Patrick Brethour’s article, click here: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20090520.wbcport20atlart2216/BNStory/politics/
Bergara got down a bunt, but Mistone was cut down at third base. But the return throw was wild. Eusebio raced to third and Bergara was safe at first. After an intentional walk loaded the bases, the Falcons almost got out of trouble. An infield fly got the second out but a long flyball by catcher Kevin Bonilla was dropped by left fielder George Adrian. “The first two games, we executed better,” Nieto said. “But in the last two games, we didn’t execute very well early but we came through late.” The Lancers jumped on top with an unearned run in the bottom of the fourth inning. A leadoff walk to Mistone and a hit batter brought in a new pitcher. Bergara sacrificed, but a possible double play was botched when the relay went past first base. Mistone hustled home from second. The Falcons came right back with a pair of unearned runs in the top of the fifth to take their only lead. A two-out error put a runner on first, then a botched pickoff play opened the door for back-to-back singles and a pair of runs. “Our goal the whole year is to play the game of baseball well,” Nieto said. “Not give the other team extra opportunities.” Eusebio picked up his second win of the season, not allowing a base runner and striking out four in his two innings. “The kids battled back and that’s part of that Amat mystique,” Nieto said. Leadoff hitter Jordan Fox led the Lancers with three hits. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! GLENDORA – Taking advantage of opportunities is the mark of a good baseball team. Bishop Amat High School did just that Saturday night, capturing the Glendora Tournament with a 4-3, eight-inning win over Crescenta Valley. The Lancers scored the winning run in the bottom of the eighth with two outs on a dropped flyball with the bases loaded. Junior third baseman Andrew Mistone led off the inning with his second single of the night. With the corners charging the plate for an expected sacrifice bunt by winning pitcher Chris Eusebio, Falcons pitcher Micah Dunham tried a pickoff throw to first. No one was covering the bag and Mistone went to second. The Falcons walked Eusebio, then put on a play against Nick Bergara. The win kept first year Lancers coach Andy Nieto undefeated at 4-0. “One of my decisions to say yes to Bishop Amat is they have a huge tradition of athletic legacy,” the former Cal State Fullerton standout said. “But a little luck doesn’t hurt.”
1 Vincent Aboubakar Hull have been boosted in their pursuit of Vincent Aboubakar after the striker’s move to Sporting Lisbon fell through.Tigers manager Steve Bruce is desperate to add to his attacking options following the sale of Shane Long, but has so far failed in moves for Danny Welbeck and Troy Deeney among others.That has led Bruce to Lorient’s £8m-rated hitman Aboubakar, who scored 16 goals in 35 Ligue 1 outings last term.But even that move looked unlikely with Sporting seemingly poised to take him to Lisbon.However, according to reports in France, the 22-year-old Cameroon international has turned down Sporting’s contract offer and remains on the market.Hull will have to move quickly though, with Wolfsburg and Monaco also considering a move.
1 Burnley striker Danny Ings Burnley boss Sean Dyche has revealed the club are in talks to extend the contract of Clarets star Danny Ings.The 22-year-old’s fine form for the Clarets this season has prompted speculation of a move elsewhere, with his current deal set to expire at the end of the current campaign.But Ings reportedly stressed his desire to stay at Turf Moor earlier this week and Dyche is also resolute that the England under-21 front man is not for sale.Dyche said: “We have had ongoing communication with him and his agent as we do with every other player – Danny is just one of those we talk to freely.“Danny has assured everybody that he will be here so I don’t need to speak on his behalf.“It is an ongoing situation that we have had many times since I have been here. It is tough in the Premier League but we are making a good fist of it at the moment and if there is interest in your players it usually means there is life in the club.“I only speak to him [Ings] about his performances and how he is doing. The signs are good about him learning and adapting to the top level of football and even more so as a striker who has top international defenders against him.“Every manager wants players who are settled where they are and ours are settled as a group and they want to play well at this level.”
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! By City News Service The pilot of a two-seater stunt plane made an emergency landing Friday on the sand in Seal Beach, police said. The emergency landing occurred around 11 a.m. on the beach between 12th and 13th streets, said Sgt. Bob Mullins of the Seal Beach Police Department. The 1996 Extra 300L two-seater lost power while flying over the ocean near the beach, he said. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.The pilot was able to glide the airplane onto the beach with only minor damage to the plane, and no injuries or property damage was reported on the ground, Mullins said. Because it was a weekday, the beach was not crowded, giving the pilot room to land. However, the landing was a close call for one beachgoer, who said she was sunbathing and listening to music with earplugs when she heard a loud noise, opened her eyes and saw one of the plane’s wings go over her head. The plane’s passenger said he was given the flight on the stunt plane as a birthday present. He said the pilot was doing acrobatic stunts over the ocean and was about to return to Fullerton when the engine started sputtering.
Coral’s Dave Stevens joins the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast to round up the latest sporting odds.Tottenham thrashed Stoke 4-0 on Monday night to close the gap on Premier League leaders Leicester to five points.They are now into 7/4 to snatch the title, while Leicester are still odds-on to take the trophy but have moved from 1/5 to 4/9.Coral is the official betting partner of the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast