SELECTMEN NEWS Big Issues To Be Discussed At Tonights Meeting June 11

first_imgWILMINGTON, MA — The Wilmington Board of Selectmen meets this Monday, June 11, 2018 at 7pm at Town Hall (Room 9).There are some noteworthy items on the agenda, including:Selectmen will hear a presentation from Planning Director Valerie Gingrich regarding the town’s Market Study on Route 38 and Economic Development.Selectmen will consider signing an access license and agreement with Olin Corporation to conduct water sampling.Selectmen will consider the request of the Reading Municipal Light Department to conduct an electric vehicle ride and drive event on Sunday, July 15, 10am to 3pm, in conjunction with the Wilmington Farmers Market, in the Fourth of July Building’s Parking Lot.Selectmen will hear from Frank West and Mike Kelley regarding the Wilmington Minutemen’s Flag Retirement Ceremony on June 14 at 6pm behind the Town Museum.Town Manager Jeff Hull will provide information from MBTA relative to a temporary suspension of weekend commuter rail service in Wilmington on the Lowell Line.The agenda is lighter than usual as Selectmen are holding a second meeting this week to interview two more law firms in the running to become Wilmington’s next permanent Town Counsel.The meeting will be telecast live by Wilmington Community Television on WCTV-G — Channel 22 on Comcast and Channel 38 on Verizon.  The meeting will also be streamed on WCTV’s website HERE.Wilmington Apple intends to report on each of the items above – and any other news that comes from the meeting — over the next two weeks. Wilmington Apple typically live-tweets the meeting HERE.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email wilmingtonapple@gmail.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedSELECTMEN NEWS: Selectmen To Discuss Need For Fire Substation At Wednesday, August 7 MeetingIn “Government”SELECTMEN NEWS: Childhood Cancer Study, Olin, Cook Ave., Recreation Dept. Update On Agenda For Tonight’s MeetingIn “Government”SELECTMEN NEWS: Big Issues To Be Discussed At Tonight’s Meeting (September 10)In “Government”last_img read more

Read More

Senate subpoenas exTrump adviser over Russia

first_imgThe US Senate Intelligence Committee issued a subpoena on Wednesday demanding documents related to Russia from president Donald Trump’s former national security adviser Michael Flynn, ramping up its monthslong investigation of Moscow’s alleged meddling in the 2016 US election.In a joint statement, Senators Richard Burr, the committee’s Republican chairman, and Mark Warner, its top Democrat, said the committee had first requested the documents from Flynn in a 28 April letter, but the retired lieutenant general had declined, through counsel, to cooperate with the committee’s request.It was the first subpoena announced by the committee in its investigation.Warner said on Tuesday that the committee has been receiving documents as it investigates allegations that Russia sought to influence the US election, something Moscow denies. But he told Reuters that some people were not complying “so we were going to take next steps.”The Trump administration denies any collusion with Russia.Flynn has been a focus of investigations into Russia and the election. He was forced to resign in February as Trump’s national security adviser for failing to disclose the content of his talks with Sergey Kislyak, Russia’s ambassador to the United States, and then misleading vice president Mike Pence about the conversations.Former acting US attorney general Sally Yates testified at a high-profile hearing on Monday that she had warned the White House in January that Flynn had been compromised and could have been vulnerable to blackmail by Russia.The subpoena was announced a day after Trump abruptly fired FBI director James Comey, who had been leading the bureau’s investigation of Russia and the election. Comey’s firing prompted a storm of criticism from Democrats, who accused the president of seeking to stall the probe.Some of Trump’s fellow Republicans, including Burr, also expressed strong doubts about the timing of Trump’s action.last_img read more

Read More

Studies suggest more original migrants to Australia than thought—and they came on

first_img More information: Corey J. A. Bradshaw et al. Minimum founding populations for the first peopling of Sahul, Nature Ecology & Evolution (2019). DOI: 10.1038/s41559-019-0902-6 Michael I. Bird et al. Early human settlement of Sahul was not an accident, Scientific Reports (2019). DOI: 10.1038/s41598-019-42946-9Press release Two teams of Australian researchers working independently have found that there were likely more first arrivals to Australia and New Guinea than previously thought—and it was not by accident. The first team created a model showing that a large number of people must have made the trip to have survived the migration. They have published their results in the journal Nature Ecology and Evolution. This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. The second team began by looking at climatic conditions during the periods of migration, along with population estimates, to make probabilistic assumptions about the likelihood of people in boats randomly reaching Sahul. They found that the most likely scenario was intentionally sailing from their homeland to Sahul. They also found that the migrants also clearly had the wherewithal to make such a journey.Taken together, the results by the two teams suggests that the initial migrants to Sahul were purposeful and large in number. Journal information: Nature Ecology & Evolution The emergent picture of regional Pleistocene complexity from genomes, fossils and material culture. Credit: Nature Ecology and Evolution, DOI: 10.1038/s41559-019-0928-9 Island-hopping study shows the most likely route the first people took to Australia The second team found that multiple crossings must have taken place for the population to survive in their new home. They published their results in the journal Scientific Reports. Michael Westaway with the University of Queensland has published a News and Views piece outlining the work by the two teams in Nature Ecology and Evolution.Prior studies based on genetic analysis of the original migrants to New Guinea and Australia has shown that the earliest migrations occurred approximately 60,000 years ago. And some evidence has indicated that as few as 35 to 50 female migrants made the trip. Also, prior research has shown that during the time of the migration, ocean levels were low enough that New Guinea and Australia were connected by a land bridge; the collective land mass is called Sahul. In this new effort, both teams were interested in learning more about the people that migrated to Sahul, and the size of the population.To make a reasonable estimate regarding the number of migrants, the first team built a model that accounted for such factors as fertility rates, mortality rates of modern hunter-gatherers, climate, and survivability in a new environment. The model showed that approximately 1,300 people must have migrated, either as part of very large migration efforts or as part of multiple smaller migrations over several centuries. The model also showed the most likely route was via island-hopping from what is now Indonesia. Arrival of First Australians infographic Credit: Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Australian Biodiversity and Heritage (CABAH) Explore further © 2019 Science X Network , Scientific Reports Citation: Studies suggest more original migrants to Australia than thought—and they came on purpose (2019, June 20) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2019-06-migrants-australia-thoughtand-purpose.htmllast_img read more

Read More